Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A yummy, easy to make applesauce/raisin cake from an "Old Pennsylvania Dutch Cookbook".
Make and share this Applesauce Cake (Ob'l Dunkes Kucha) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce or 3 medium apples
- 1 cup raisins
- ****To make applesauce****.
- Wash, quarter, core and pare 3 medium-sized apples.
- Put prepared apples into a sauce pan with 3 Tablespoons of water.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Press cooked apples through a sieve or food mill.
- Cool applesauce before using in cake.
- ------Applesauce Cake------.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottom only of an 8x8x2-inch square baking pan.
- Sift together first 6 ingredients; set aside.
- Cream butter until softened.
- Add sugar to butter gradually, creaming until fluffy.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients (in fourths) and applesauce (in thirds) to creamed mixture, mixing until blended after each addition.
- Mix in the raisins.
- Turn batter into prepared pan (batter will be very thick).
- Bake at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cake tester or wooden toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.
- Cool in pan on rack.
This was superb! I used a jar of applesauce for this, the batter is thick as mentioned but the cake is sooooo moist! The blend of spices produced such a delicious flavour, it disappeared in no time!! I'm off to make another one! Thanks.
This was really good...I made it and brought it to the barn to share with everyone. It has the right amount of spices....for some reason it sorta tasted like pumpkin pie.....but it was gooooood!
This is THE moistest cake i've ever eaten! The smell is heavenly! I only used 1/4 tsp clove, but added 1/4 tsp ginger. I also had an apple i had to use up so I peeled and cut it into chunks and folded them in at the end (omitted the raisins) Yum, yum, yum!!!! **100 stars**