Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
Recipes for Cakes Baked In Jars Ever baked cakes in canning jars? It's neat! ANY quick bread-type cake can be baked in canning jars. Lighter cakes tend to fall once the jar seals. I usually bake one jar first -- you have to know how high the batter rises. I usually fill ONE jar 1/2 full then bake it to see how high it rises, then go from there. You don't want the cake to come out of the top of the jar, only to within 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the lip of the jar. Write it down on your recipe (how far you filled the jars)! Once you've established how high the cake rises, you can go from there. The first time around is a bit tricky because you won't know how many jars you'll need. MOST of the recipes I've tried I end up using around 8. Sterilize as many jars as you think you'll need and go from there. Make sure your LIDS are new, the rings don't ha ve to be As the jars do seal, the cakes are as moist as the day you put them into the jars--sometimes MORE SO. The baking times will v
- Sterilize 8 (12 oz Ball Quilted Crystal - #14400-81400) canning jars, lids and
- rings by boiling for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars and allow to air-dry and cool.
- Leave the lids and rings in the hot water until ready to use. Once the jars are cool enough to handle, grease them (use a pastry brush) with shortening (DO NOT use Pam or Baker's Secret); set aside. Cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until the mixture is light and f luffy.
- Add the applesauce and water; set aside. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves.
- Blend dry ingredients into the applesauce mixture. Fold in the nuts.
- Pour batter into the jars, filling them about 1/2 full.
- Place jars onto a cookie sheet or they'll fall over.
- Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until a pick inserted deep into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Remove jars from the oven, one-at-a-time (use HEAVY-DUTY MITTS, the jars ARE HOT!); place a lid, then a ring on top and screw down tightly.