Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
From Everyday Food (Holiday Baking) - recipe by Martha Stewart. This cake is moist, flavorful, dense and not too sweet. In other words: perfect. I made a major mistake while mixing ingredients : since I was in a hurry, I dumped all the wet ingredients together. When I began mixing them I realized I must have done something wrong because the butter didn't blend in properly. I read the recipe again and realized I should have added the applesauce at the end, however, the cake came out just perfect, despite my mistake. I baked for 50 minutes.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 16 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups chunky applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl whisk all the dry ingredients together.
- In another bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and honey till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add in the flour mixture, beat until just combined.
- Beat in applesauce.
- Generously coat a non-stick 9-inch tube cake pan with cooking spray. pour batter in and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs clinging to it -- 50-60 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes Turn out of pan on to a plate and then on the rack, top side up.
- Cool completely and dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
- This cake will keep well at room temperature, covered in clingfilm, for two days.