Recipe by Maryland Jim
The addition of the maraschino cherries really makes this good. My family liked it.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 1 cup raisins
- 2⁄3 cup nuts (I used pecans)
- 12 -18 maraschino cherries, some juice is needed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, ground cloves, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Blend sugar, shortening and egg. Add flour mixture and applesauce and beat well.
- Fold in raisins that have been plumped, drained and dusted with flour; add nuts and cherries.
- Pour into a well-greased/floured tube or bundt pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until test for doneness is completed.