Recipe by Virginia
This recipe came from King Arthur Flour, its wonderful, the molasses really add to the rich flavor.
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Very good cake! I agree that it gets better the day after its baked. I did used a 1/4 less sugar and would do that again. I think I'll add nuts and raisins next time. I topped the cake with an applesauce cream cheese frosting. Thanks for posting the recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the oil, eggs, molasses and applesauce till smooth.
- Add the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- beat till smooth.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased and floured 9x13 in baking pan.
- Place cake in a preheated 375 degree oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until it tests done.
- Remove and cool completely ona wire rack.
- Just before serving dust with powdered sugar.