Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Makes a great cake for coffee. So enjoy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups golden raisins
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Cover raisins with boiling water. Soak 30 minutes. Drain, Cream shortening with sugar.
- Add eggs and beat well. Sift together dry ingredients add alternately with applesauce to creamed mixture.
- Fold in raisins and nuts. Bake in greased and floured 12 cup bundt pan at 350 for 55-60 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Let cool in pan for 10-15 minutes, turn out on wire rack or serving plate to complete cooling.
- Variation; Omit raisins and add 1 cup chocolate chips.