Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my Nanna's recipe. Which has become a holiday tradition.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup hot applesauce
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray or grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and mix.
- In a small bowl put hot applesauce.
- Dissolve the 1 teaspoons baking soda in 1 teaspoons hot water and put this on top of the applesauce and mix it.
- Add applesauce to large bowl.
- Sift all dry ingredients and add to large bowl and mix.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Stir in raisins.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- A pan with water on the lower rack will help keep it moist.
- Frost with a buttercream frosting.
This is a good and moist applesauce cake! It was a bit sweeter then I'm used to, so left off the frosting option because for me personally, I think it would have made it too sweet. The only change I made was using egg substitute instead of real egg. Thanks for posting this recipe! :)