Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cake smells great, but nothing like the apple butter. Together they taste wonderful.
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, warm
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ginger or 1 pinch clove
- For the cake: Cream the butter until soft anf fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until it is light.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Slowly add flour mixture and warm applesauce to sugar mixture and blend well If desired, mix in the raisins and nuts.
- Pour into a loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 60-75 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Chill before slicing.
- Serve with apple butter.
- For the apple butter: Combine the ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Cool and spread on slices of cake.
Wow, I made this apple bread for my class at church and everyone loved it. The one in class who doesn't like sweets loved it so much he wants the recipe. I didn't make this applebutter because I already had some homemade apple butter. But I will definately be makeing this again (maybe as gifts too)
This was just awesome. It made my whole house smell just yummy... The only thing I did different was I didn't use the cloves; partly because I didn't have them and I am not really a big fan of the flavor. Absolutely great with the apple butter. Very tasty and it couldn't be all bad for you=)