Prep 30 mins
Cook 22 mins
A healthy tasty breakfast muffin with lots of good fiber.
- 2 cups all-bran cereal (All-Bran or 100% Bran)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- In a bowl, add the bran cereal, milk, applesauce, molasses, oil, and eggs; whisk together to combine.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir to combine.
- Add in the raisins and apple; toss to coat.
- Add the bran mixture to the flour mixture; fold in until dry ingredients are just moistened; do not overmix.
- Spray muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour batter evenly into muffin cups.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20-22 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before removing from the pan.
Oh my this recipe came at exactly the right time. I am trying to clean out the fridge (because we go away for the winter) and needed to use up some odds and ends. This recipe must have been made for me. Thanks for making my leftovers healthy.
Very moist and tasty!
I loved the great photo and couldn't stop thinking about the apples/applesauce mixed with the muffin! I forgot to buy molasses and was initially crestfallen, but decided to go forward with the recipe, using 1/2 cup honey, 2 TBS light brown sugar, with several shakes of cinnamon. This made a lot of batter and my tins were practically overfilling(made 12 with a little batter leftover), but I do like a big muffin. These did bake in about 20 minutes. My finished product looked just like the photo and tasted great. I felt the cinnamon gave it a spicy (molasses) flavor and loved the chunks of apples. I knew it was risky making the substitutions, but I am used to molasses in a bran muffin and thought these were a great copycat. Roxygirl