Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These light biscuits dont necessarily taste like applesauce but feel free to add a few finely chopped apples if you like or slather on the butter and a nice apple jelly. They are great served with scrambled eggs and a nice piece of ham for a late morning breakfast treat. From a Wisconsin B&B cookbook.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Sift together the first four ingredients.
- Cut in shortening.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients except the cheese and add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix gently but quickly.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead for a few seconds.
- Roll out to 1/2 in ch think.
- Cut with 2 inch biscuit cutter.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minute.