Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I ran across this recipe a few weeks ago in one of my cooking magazines and wanted to post them. You can either use the chunky applesauce or the regular applesauce in this recipe. It tastes great with both. PS. I made these this weekend for my son who just loves these, I made these with Splenda.
- In a bowl or other container, mix flour with baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Add applesauce, pecans and raisins and stir until blended.
- Pour into a greased and floured 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake in preheated 350° oven 25 minutes, or until done.
- Cool applesauce bars on rack then cut in 2-1/2 x 1-inch bars and sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar.
What a tasty little treat. I did sub the raisins out and used dried cranberries as that is my own personal preference and used toasted chopped almonds for the nuts. I used a very light decorative glaze and drizzled over the top as a birthday surprise for my DD's 14th breakfast treat! I normally would stick with just the powdered sugarr though. I did add a bit more nutmeg & cinnamon as those are fav spices but just about a 1/4 tsp extra of each. Thanks for sharing this lovely bar treat! Made for Zaar Alphabet Soup tag game.
These were really good. I think next time I make them, I will put a struesel topping on instead of the powdered sugar and I'll have a wonderful coffee cake. BTW....I made these GF by using Bob's Red Mill AP GF Flour. Thanks for the recipe, Melody!