Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Very moist and now that fall is here and I'm from New England, it makes me think of home!
Make and share this Applesauce Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup applesauce, best if using unsweetened homemade
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted margarine
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x9 inch baking pan.
- (you can also use 9x13 but need to double the recipe).
- In a medium bowl, mix together the butter, brown sugar and egg until smooth.
- Stir in applesauce.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice (and/or spices); stir into the applesauce mixture until well blended.
- Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes (for 9/13 pan) or 35-40 minutes (for 9x9 pan) in the preheated oven, or until edges are golden.
- Cool in the pan over a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix together the confectioners' sugar and margarine.
- Stir in vanilla and milk until smooth.
- Spread over cooled bars before cutting into squares.
- Other suggested toppings include using only powered sugar or a caramel frosting.
These are delicious. I used 1/3 cup whole wheat flour with 2/3 white. 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup Splenda. I also added 1/2 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 cup craisins. Very good and moist. I didn't bother with the glaze.