Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Very moist and now that fall is here and I'm from New England, it makes me think of home!
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup applesauce, best if using unsweetened homemade
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted margarine
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x9 inch baking pan.
- (you can also use 9x13 but need to double the recipe).
- In a medium bowl, mix together the butter, brown sugar and egg until smooth.
- Stir in applesauce.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice (and/or spices); stir into the applesauce mixture until well blended.
- Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes (for 9/13 pan) or 35-40 minutes (for 9x9 pan) in the preheated oven, or until edges are golden.
- Cool in the pan over a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix together the confectioners' sugar and margarine.
- Stir in vanilla and milk until smooth.
- Spread over cooled bars before cutting into squares.
- Other suggested toppings include using only powered sugar or a caramel frosting.
These are delicious. I used 1/3 cup whole wheat flour with 2/3 white. 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup Splenda. I also added 1/2 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 cup craisins. Very good and moist. I didn't bother with the glaze.