Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the only banana bread recipe I have used for a few years, my family really likes it.
- 4 bananas, ripe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place bananas in a large bowl and mash with electric mixer.
- Stir in sugar and let stand 15 minutes.
- Add applesauce and eggs and beat well.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into greased 9x5 loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before removing from pan, cool on wire rack.
I made the recipe with half the sugar and used 1 cup wheat flour, 1/2 cup white flour, 1/4 cup each of wheat germ and flax seed. The rest of the recipe stayed the same. Then I took out about 1/3 of the batch mixed in 1-2 tablespoons of strawberry jam and put that into a mini loaf pan (baked for 25 min) and the rest went into a small loaf pan (baked for 45 min). They both turned out great. I like the strawberry-banana bread the best. Both were light and fluffy. Thanks for the recipe.
Very nice recipe! I made this this morning to bring to work and I made it into muffins. Here are a few notes that I made: August 20, 2008: 1. I used 6 VERY ripe bananas as that is what I had handy 2. I used Splenda instead of sugar 3. I used unsweetened applesauce 4. I used 1/3 cup of liquid egg whites instead of eggs 5. I used 2 cups of Whole Wheat Flour instead of All-Purpose Flour 6. I added 1/4 cup of Wheat Germ 7. I added 1 teaspoon of cinnamon 8. I made these into 12 large muffins using my Pampered Chef Stoneware Muffin Pan 9. My baking time was exactly 28 minutes (perfection!) Shelly, I hope you don't mind all the changes that I made to your wonderful recipe; I just try to eat as healthy as possible. I will let you know what the girls say when I get home later on tonight. Thanks again for posting! Oh yeah, I took a picture and will have it posted on here shortly. :-)
This is delicious. I used Heart Smart Bisquick instead of flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. It came out great.