Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is really good, the applesauce makes this cake really moist! My family prefers a sweet tasting cake, but you can reduce the white sugar amount slightly if desired. Use sweetened or unsweetened applesauce.
Top Review by KrabKokonas
This cake is lovely! I have a Dutch friend who turned fifty recently and requested an apple-raisin cake for her birthday. This cake was very moist. I was able to reduce the quantity of butter and sugar by using a bit more applesauce (1 1/2 cups)and it still turned out perfectly. I highly recommend adding the raisins too! Thanks, Kittencal, for such a great recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups applesauce
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 medium apples (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Grease an 11 x 7-inch baking pan.
- In a bowl cream the butter with both sugars until creamy.
- Add in eggs and vanilla; beat until well mixed.
- Add in applesauce; mix until combined.
- In a small bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice; add to the creamed mixture; mix just until combined.
- Mix in the apples and raisins (if using).
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the cake tests done.