Recipe by Whisper
This is another variation of squash casserole, but the applesauce makes it lighter than most. Easy to make and very tasty! Prep time includes time to cook fresh squash.
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed cooked squash, fresh or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen squash
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup soft white breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together applesauce, brown sugar, salt, heavy cream, squash, nutmeg, 4 Tbsp of the melted butter, and eggs.
- Place in buttered, 1 1/2 quart, shallow casserole.
- Mix together bread crumbs, remaining 2 Tbsp butter, and almonds.
- (This can be made a day ahead up to this point.) Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Or it can be frozen and baked later at 375 degrees for 55-65 minutes (if still frozen).