Recipe by COOKGIRl
From the side label of a box of Fred Meyer brand brown sugar. The bread can also be baked in muffin tins or mini-loaf pans, reducing the cooking time accordingly.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups applesauce
- 2 cups Raisin Bran cereal (read *NOTE)
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground star anise (optional, my addition)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, coarsely chopped (walnuts or pecans are good)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- *NOTE: replace the raisin bran cereal with bran flakes or bran buds' cereal and 1/2 cup raisins.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x5x3 inch aluminum loaf pan, muffin tins, or mini-loaf pans.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs, applesauce and bran cereal. Let mixture stand 10 minutes then stir.
- In another mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and spices.
- Mix together the vegetable oil, brown sugar and chopped nuts with the cereal mixture. Stir only until moistened.
- Pour into loaf pan or muffin tins.
- Bake 60-70 minutes for loaf and about 20-25 minutes for the muffins, depending on your oven.
- Bread is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Good with jam!