Recipe by AniSarit
Slightly modified from the National Foundation for Cancer Research. This makes a lovely side dish to nearly every everything.
- 4 medium cooking apples, halved and cored
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter (margarine is OK)
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking couscous
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 dash ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Hollow out apple halves leaving 1/2-inch shell and reserve ½ cup pulp.
- Arrange apple halves, cut side down, in 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Bake covered for 10 minutes.
- Chop reserved pulp.
- Bring ¾ cup water and butter to boiling.
- Stir in couscous, raisins, pecans, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chopped apple.
- Remove from heat, cover, let stand 5 minutes.
- In small saucepan combine honey, 2 tbsp water, and cloves, boil gently for 1 minute, set aside.
- Fluff couscous mixture with fork.
- Fill apple halves with couscous mixture. Drizzle with half of honey mixture.
- Cover loosely with foil, bake 15 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Uncover, drizzle with remaining honey mixture before serving.