Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Another one found online. Can't wait to try it this holiday season! Let me know what you think.
Make and share this Apples & Cheese Spoon Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large red onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 2 (4 ounce) containers applesauce
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (4 oz)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 fresh sage leaves, snipped (1 tsp)
- ground black pepper
- 1 medium red apple, very thinly sliced
- melted butter
- sage leaf
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium skillet, cook onion in hot butter about 5 minutes or until just tender.
- In a large bowl stir together corn muffin mix, egg, water, applesauce, sour cream, cheddar cheese, snipped sage leaves, and a few dashes pepper.
- Stir in onion mixture.
- Pour mixture into a 2-quart square baking dish.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Brush apple slices with melted butter and arrange on top of spoon bread in a pleasing pattern.
- Continue baking 25 to 30 minutes more or until spoon bread is golden brown across the top.
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving; spoonbread may sink slightly in center while cooking.
- Sprinkle on sage leaves before serving.