Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another one found online. Can't wait to try it this holiday season! Let me know what you think.
Make and share this Apples & Cheese Spoon Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large red onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 2 (4 ounce) containers applesauce
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (4 oz)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 fresh sage leaves, snipped (1 tsp)
- ground black pepper
- 1 medium red apple, very thinly sliced
- melted butter
- sage leaf
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium skillet, cook onion in hot butter about 5 minutes or until just tender.
- In a large bowl stir together corn muffin mix, egg, water, applesauce, sour cream, cheddar cheese, snipped sage leaves, and a few dashes pepper.
- Stir in onion mixture.
- Pour mixture into a 2-quart square baking dish.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Brush apple slices with melted butter and arrange on top of spoon bread in a pleasing pattern.
- Continue baking 25 to 30 minutes more or until spoon bread is golden brown across the top.
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving; spoonbread may sink slightly in center while cooking.
- Sprinkle on sage leaves before serving.