Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found this on Pinterest from Skinnytaste.com. I can't wait to try it!
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1 small apple (gala or pink lady)
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- Combine quinoa, water, cinnamon and vanilla in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes until quinoa can be fluffed with a fork.
- Divide cooked quinoa between four bowls then stir in apple sauce, raisins, and pour in warmed milk. Top with fresh cut apples and pecans and a dash of cinnamon.
This was a tasty sub for the usual bowl of oatmeal! I knew that I liked quinoa as a savory dish, but this is my first time trying it in something sweet. I only had applesauce that was already mixed with some homemade cranberry sauce, but this worked out just fine because I was going to sub craisins for the raisins anyhow. For the pecans, I used a handful of some pecan-cashew nut crisp that I got at Costco (has cinnamon glaze with dried apple and dried peach bits mixed in). I would definitely make this again, thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2014