Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
This is a delicious apple pie filling and easy too! From the Ball Blue Book of Canning. Prep time includes peeling and slicing apples.
- 6 lbs apples
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Wash, peel, core and slice apples.
- Treat to prevent darkening.
- Combine sugar, flour and spices.
- Rinse and drain apples; stir into sugar mixture.
- Let stand until juices begin to flow, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- cook over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken.
- Ladle pie filling into can-or-freeze jars or plastic freezer boxes, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Cool at room temperature,not to exceed 2 hours.
- Seal, label andn freeze.
- Yield: about 6 pints.
- Note: You can can this recipe if you put hot filling into hot sterilized jars and seal properly.
- You may cook in hot water bath for 15 to 25 minutes.
- I made immediately into an apple pie and cooked at 425* for 15 minutes, then lowered temperature to 350* for 30 more minutes.
Outstanding! Made into a pie. Next apple picking will be made into canned filling. Made for the photo tag game.
I make this recipe all the time. It makes the best pie ever.
Oh my goodness--what a great way to use apples. Tried this the first time and it was so-o-o easy. I could not believe how quickly the apple mixture thickened. I canned it and have already used 1 quart for a pie. What fabulous flavor. Thought I had just picked the apples from the tree. Thank you.