This is a delicious apple pie filling and easy too! From the Ball Blue Book of Canning. Prep time includes peeling and slicing apples.
- Wash, peel, core and slice apples.
- Treat to prevent darkening.
- Combine sugar, flour and spices.
- Rinse and drain apples; stir into sugar mixture.
- Let stand until juices begin to flow, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- cook over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken.
- Ladle pie filling into can-or-freeze jars or plastic freezer boxes, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Cool at room temperature,not to exceed 2 hours.
- Seal, label andn freeze.
- Yield: about 6 pints.
- Note: You can can this recipe if you put hot filling into hot sterilized jars and seal properly.
- You may cook in hot water bath for 15 to 25 minutes.
- I made immediately into an apple pie and cooked at 425* for 15 minutes, then lowered temperature to 350* for 30 more minutes.