Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A just wonderful Penne dish with Italian cheese and grilled chicken. Very simple but surprisingly good. This based on a recipe is from Hub Pages Restaurant food at home it is extremely well done.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1⁄3 cup Italian salad dressing
- 3 cups penne pasta
- 15 ounces alfredo sauce
- 8 ounces Italian cheese, shredded (Mozzarella, Parmesan, Provolone)
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Chop Chicken and marinade in Italian dressing for 30 minute.
- Chop tomatoes, add oil chopped Garlic and basil to make bruschetta. Set aside.
- Cook Penne in boiling water.
- Grill or broil Chicken.
- Divide pasta between two microwavable bowls.
- Pour Alfredo sauce.over the pasta in each bowl.
- Layer on Bruschetta.
- Add a layer of Chicken.
- Add a layer of shredded cheese.
- Microwave for 3 min, or longer if previously chilled till cheese is melted.
- Serve with Garlic bread.
- Can be prepared well ahead of time in individual bowls, then Microwaved thoroughly.
- NB. I have edited this recipe from the original post. Thanks to JFitz who kindly pointed out I had omitted to include the Garlic in the Bruschetta. JFitz also added the that she cooked the meal in a casserole dish, in the oven. I have done this successfully also, but I have failed at it by using low quality shredded Italian 3 cheese mix. Always use fresh.
My daughter asked me to make Applebee's 3 Cheese Chicken Penne so I was very happy when I found this recipe. She thought it was really similar except that I added (4 cloves because I LOVE garlic but my daughter doesn't) too much garlic so she didn't like my version as much but only because of the garlic. I gave it 5 stars because if I didn't add the extra garlic she would have liked it more. In the directions it didn't say where to add the garlic so I added it to the bruschetta. The other change I made was adding some extra pasta and baking it in a casserole dish @ 350 for 30 minutes. I layered everything as the recipe states. I will definitely make this again. Thanks for a great recipe!
NOTE: Made this again with less garlic and my son had the leftovers the next day and thought it was better than Applebee's! Thanks again - great recipe!
I used garlic powder instead of the cloves.....I sprinkled Parmesan cheese in a mozzarella and provolone shredded mix...I was still like Applebees!
Tastes better than Applebees. I left out the provolone though, but it was absolutely delightful.