Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Make sure you plan ahead for this one--chicken should marinate for a few hours if you want it to taste like the original. Todd Wilbur- TSR
- 1 cup teriyaki marinade
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 8 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 1⁄3 cups crisp chow mein noodles
Fat Free Asian Dressing
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dry pectin
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Combine teriyaki marinade and chicken breasts in a medium bowl or plastic bag. Marinate chicken for 3-4 hours.
- Prepare dressing by combining all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring mixture to a boil while stirring often with a whisk.
- Remove pan from heat to cool. When it has cooled, pour into a covered container and chill.
- When chicken breasts have marinated, preheat grill or skillet to high heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until done.
- Combine lettuces,cabbages , and 1 cup carrots; toss with dressing in a large bowl.
- Divide salad among four plates. Sprinkle green onions and chow mein noodles over each salad.
- When breasts are done, slice each one widthwise into one inch strips, then cut again into small pieces.
- Top salad with chicken and add rest of carrots to the center of each salad.
Delicious! We really enjoyed this light, healthy chicken salad. The dressing was flavorful even though it was made without oil. I made a half recipe and it still made a lot. I marinated the chicken overnight and used prechopped roamaine and coleslaw mix. I haven't had the original salad at Applebee's, so I don't know how close this is, but we really loved it. Thank you for sharing...this is a keeper. *Made for Photo Tag*