Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a copycat recipe, but very good.
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounces tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup hot sauce (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper (chopped ) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper (minced ) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, mixed with
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 cup whipping cream, heavy
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 8 ounces cheese (process or food or cut in 1-inch cubes)
- 10 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut in 1/4-inch strips
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Sauté garlic and onions in oil in large pan or Dutch oven until soft.
- Add next 10 ingredients to pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Whisk flour/w ater mixture into soup.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cream, sour cream, and cheese; stir until cheese is melted.
- Deep-fry tortilla strips in 350 degree oil OR spray with non-stick cooking spray and bake in a 400 degree oven until crisp.
- Sprinkle with salt if desired.
- Pour soup into bowls, pile tortilla strips into a "haystack" shape on top of the soup, garnish with cilantro.