Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe makes three loaves of bread. A great combination of zucchini and apples makes this a wonderfully moist bread that freezes well. Recipe from Taste of Home.
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In another bowl, beat eggs and add oil, sugars and vanilla.
- Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in zucchini, apples and pecans (batter will be stiff).
- Spoon into three greased 8x4x2" loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 50 to 55 minutes or until tests done.
- Cool in pan for ten minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
I scaled this to 2/3 (didn't have enough apple), and made it in a 9x13 like enestvmel did. It was FANTASTIC! Husband and I couldn't get enough and the 3 year old loved it. We snacked on it all day and it was addictive it was so good. We're going to try adding raisins next time, too.
This makes a large amount, so I put about 2/3 of the batter in a 9x13 (a little less than half a cake pans worth) and the rest in a bread pan. The cake came out beautiful golden brown after about 30-35 minutes. I used my small toaster oven for the bread and it took 50 minutes. We love a good snack cake at our house (without frosting) and this recipe seemed like the perfect candidate. It came out perfectly sweet and didn't even need any frosting. I did use half white and half regular wheat flour. I used a cup of homemade tart applesauce and a half cup of canola oil. I didn't have any nutmeg so I used allspice instead. I also didn't have any pecans. This was the best dessert recipe I've found in a while! Thanks Marie!!!
I changed the recipe a little. I scaled it down to 2/3 of the original quantities. I probably used 1 1/2 to 2 times the indicated amounts of zucchini and apples, reduced the sugar by about half and used all whole wheat pastry flour. I also used about half the recommended oil and added some buttermilk. 2/3 of the recipe was the perfect amount to put in a tube pan and bake for just about an hour. I topped it with a homemade caramel glaze (thus adding back the reduced sugar back in!). Very very good!