Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Haven't tried this one. Guessed on the servings and prep time.
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 cup all-bran cereal (not flakes)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 medium apples (peeled, cored and coarsely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 cups bread flour
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the water, sugar and yeast. Stir to dissolve the yeast, then add the bran. Blend well and set aside to soften.
- In a wide saucepan, combine the milk, butter and salt. Place over medium heat and stir until butter is melted. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- When milk is barely warm to the touch, stir in softened bran. Add the whole wheat flour, apples and raisins. Stir to combine. Blend in enough bread flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead, working in as much of the remaining flour as is necessary to create a cohesive dough. Continue kneading until dough is soft but no longer sticks to the work surface.
- Transfer to a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap.Secure with an elastic band and set aside to rise until double in bulk.
- Generously grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Punch dough down, then turn out onto a floured surface. Shape it into a loaf and place in prepared pan. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise.
- When double in bulk, bake in pre-heated 375* oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the loaf sounds hollow when you tap the top. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes, then turn out.