Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Adopted from Recipezaar account 9/15/2006. Recipe courtesy of Mean Chef.
Make and share this Apple Walnut Tart recipe from Food.com.
- Prebake tart shell and brush warm shell with apricot preserves. (SQ note - Baking time was not included in this recipe but listening to reviewers leads me to think that 15 minutes at 350F should be about right.).
- Peel, core and slice apples.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Arrange apple slices in tart shell.
- Scatter walnuts on top of fruit.
- Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon in small bowl.
- Add butter and work with fingers to form a crumb topping.
- Sprinkle over tart.
- Bake at 400 for about 40 minutes or until top is golden brown.
This was DELICIOUS! I had a bunch of apples that I needed to use up, and this was the perfect way. I used a frozen pie crust, but other than that, I followed the recipe exactly. Hubby loved it too. Thanks for sharing!
This was a great tart!! I was debating whether it is "Outstanding" or "Great". The taste is outstanding. I had 2 minor problems with preparation. First, I used Mean Chef's Sweet Tart dough, as suggested. My dilemma was that I did not know at what temp and how long to prebake the tart shell, per step 1. I decided on 350 for 15 minutes. I don't think that was really enough, as the bottom of the shell ended up a bit soggy. My second technical difficulty was that I seemed to have too much 'filling' for a 9" tart pan. I even used fairly small apples. What this meant is that I had a pretty well heaped pile of apples in my tart shell. Then I had to scatter on the walnuts and then the topping. I think because of the very domed shape, the topping ended up being rather thick in parts. This made it a little difficult to slice up nicely. I think I shall either find a larger tart pan, use less apples, or maybe even mix a little of the walnuts and topping into the apples for the bottom layer. Despite what sounds like compaints, please do not consider them so. These were really just a few minor items that are easily fixed.
This recipe was outstanding. It gets even better after two days in the refridgerator. I will make it two days in advance next time before we plan on eating it. The topping is not too sweet and a perfect balance with the tart apples.The sweet tart dough recipe makes 2 crusts and I still think the crust was a little thick. so I will modify that as well.I didn't have apricot jam so I used some fig jam. This is a keeper and my guests raved about it. Thank you SusieQ for posting it!