Recipe by evelyn/athens
A muffin that combines some of my favourite tastes.
Top Review by ellie_
Awesome muffins just perfect for breakfast. These make 12 huge muffins! I used light sour cream instead of the greek yogurt, pecans instead of walnus, and as I was out of cinnamon so I added a little nutmeg to compensate -- without any problems. Thanks Evelyn for posting this recipe. We will be having these often during the coming fall season.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt or 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup diced apple, such as granny smith
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Put streusel topping ingredients into a medium-size bowl.
- Mix with a fork, then crumble with fingers until mixture looks like chopped walnuts.
- For muffins: thoroughly mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Break eggs into another bowl.
- Add yoghurt and melted butter, and whisk until well blended.
- Stir in diced apple.
- Pour egg mixture over flour mixture and fold in just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups.
- Top each muffin with about 2 teaspoons of the streusel topping.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until done.