Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is adapted from a Taste of Home recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups peeled tart apples, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (packed if you want it sweeter)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Cream shortening and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add egg.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in another bowl.
- Gradually add to shortening mixture.
- Stir in apples and raisins.
- Spread batter into a 9x13 baking pan lined with parchment paper (if not using parchment paper, use a greased 9x13 pan).
- Combine brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon and vanilla; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool before cutting into squares.