Recipe by Sharon123
A delicious bread. Try not to eat the whole loaf at one sitting! Adapted from Cook Now Serve Later cookbook. New England, Scandinavian, Mid Atlantic, South, West, Mid West
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (or butter)
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 medium apple, cored, chopped coarsely (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until smooth.
- Fold dry ingredients and sour cream alternately into the creamed mixture until just combined. Don't over mix! The batter should be a little thick and lumpy. Fold in apple and walnuts and spread into a greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350°F or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool upright in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out on a wire rack and cool. Wrap tightly in foil and store at room temperature overnight.
- Serve either plain or with cream cheese. Enjoy!
- Makes 1 loaf.