From Bon Appetit 1995. My sister discovered this, and our entire family has loved it ever since. Try throwing in some crumbled bleu cheese or gorgonzola - tremendous!
- Puree cranberries in processor until smooth. Add vinegar, onion, sugar and mustard and process until well blended.
- With processor running, gradually add oil and process until well blended.
- Transfer to medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Dressing can be made one day ahead of time and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature and whisk before using.
- Combine greens and apples in a large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat and sprinkle with walnuts.
- Serve, passing remaining dressing separately.
- Note1: I like Granny Smiths or Jonagold apples in this, although the original recipe calls for red delicious. I sometimes dice the apples, rather than slicing.
- Note2: I use about 2/3 grapeseed or other neutral oil and 1/3 olive oil.