Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A refreshing apple and nut salad, with the addition of fresh mint! I use a mixture of crisp apples including galas and pink ladies--- I don't peel them, but you may peel your apples if you wish. Please feel free to adjust the amount of honey to suit your taste. Note: Best made with a fresh light tasting mint such as spearmint or lemon-mint; cook time is chill time.
- 4 cups apples, coarsely diced
- 1 cup english walnut halves, toasted
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest (optional)
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaf, loosely packed and torn
- 1 tablespoon honey, to taste
- Mix together apples, lemon juice (and zest if using), mint leaves and walnuts.
- In a separate bowl, mix mayonnaise and honey, then pour over apple mixture and toss.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, then remove. Serve cold or at room temperature. Garnish with mint sprigs.
A very fresh tasting salad! I made this with Braeburn apples and as the recipe did not indicate whether to peel them or not, I left the peel on them for colour and texture. I served the salad on a bed of freshly picked Mesclun salad leaves and we ate this with some French bread and cheese for a light lunch. I quite liked the sweetness of the honey, but Malcolm thought it was too sweet, and gave it a 4; HOWEVER! As the chief cook and bottle washer I have the casting vote and therefore gave it 5!! I will cut back on the honey next time though - I thought the combination of the apples, nuts and mint was wonderful enough without the extra sweetness of the honey! (IMHO!!) A lovely light salad which I will make again. Made for 5 a day in the photo's forum, merci Becky! FT:-)
4 1/4 stars. I used a mixture of Gala and crisp Mackintosh apples. The toasted walnuts which I did in a dry frying pan are very good in this. I used freshly squeezed lemon juice and Helmans olive oil mayonnaise to be soy free. I agree with another review that it was too sweet. I suggest less honey of which I used local honey to be healthier. I wont make this again.