1/1 Photo of Apple Walnut Rice Stuffing (Vegan)
1 hr 5 mins
This is a recipe from a 1987 issue of Better Homes & Gardens, from a Tyson chicken ad. It's meant to be stuffing for cornish game hens but because I don't eat meat and poultry, this serves as a nice vegetarian side dish (non-vegans can use butter for a richer flavor.) This would be great for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any other feast. I don't normally keep storebought wild rice on hand so I used 1/3 cup each brown rice, black rice, and long-grain yellow rice. The ingredients were listed in the ad but no actual instructions were...so my instructions pretty much work, I had to add the extra 2 TB oil for cooking the onion; it wasn't originally listed. I chose those two oils based on what was on hand and what I thought would have the most interesting flavors.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil (any oil of your choice works(for cooking the rice)
- 1 celery heart, minced (with leaves still on)
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (any oil of your choice works(for sauteeing the onion)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 mcintosh apples, cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons port wine
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1Boil 2 cups of water in a large saucepan with a few shakes of table salt, and put the rice in it. Stir in the oil and cover, let cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until an "al dente" texture.
- 2While the rice is cooking, turn on another burner and sautee the chopped onion in 2 TB oil of your choice until somewhat translucent, about 15-20 minutes.
- 3Turn the burners off to but leave the saucepan on with the rice and water. Fluff up with a wodden spoon or fork to evenly distribute the oil and you'll need the extra water too.
- 4In a small bowl, combine the port and parsley.
- 5Pour the sauteed onion, chopped celery, chopped apple, walnut bits, into the rice pan and mix.,
- 6Pour on the port and parsley mixture, and blend well.
- 7Turn the saucepan's burner back on, on medium-low heat, and cover again. Let cook another 8-10 minutes.
- 8Uncover, fluff with a wooden spoon or fork, and let stand for 5 minutes prior to serving or stuffing.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Walnut Rice Stuffing (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.0
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 7.4 g