Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Technically, this is more of a cake. But, because it's an English recipe, it's called a pudding, kind of like the Sticky Toffee Pudding recipe I posted earlier. It's comfort food.
For the Pudding
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped apples
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
For the sauce
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter an 8 inch round cake pan with 2 inch sides.
- Sift first 4 ingredients into a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until blended.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Stir in dry ingredients then the apple and walnuts.
- Transfer to the baking pan.
- Bake 45 minutes until tester is clean.
- Cool slightly on rack.
- This can be done in advance.
- Cool completely, cover and refrigerate.
- Warm before serving.
- For the sauce: Combine the first four ingredients in a heavy, medium saucepan over low heat.
- Stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and boil sauce until slightly thickened, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.
- Mix in rum.
- The sauce can also be done in advance.
- Reheat before serving.
- To serve: Slice pudding and transfer to individual plates.
- Spoon warm sauce over.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.