Top Review by Kelley Maillard
This cake makes a tasty dessert either by itself or served with a little creme anglaise on the side. The leftover cake (if there is any!) makes a great breakfast with a nice cup of hot tea. I used chopped pecans instead of walnuts simply because that's what I had on hand.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 9x5x3-inch pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cream butter, add sugar slowly, and continue to beat until light and lemon-colored.
- Beat in eggs.
- Sift flour with salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add to the butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the apples, nuts, and vanilla.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 50-60 minutes, until the loaf pulls away slightly from the sides of the pan or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then loosen from pan and turn onto a rack to cool completely before slicing.