Recipe by Lainey39
This dessert is a must-have for special fall occasions. Unlike some fruit pies, this crust doesn't become soggy, thanks to the addition of ground walnuts. The nutty flavor pairs perfectly with the apples.
Top Review by ~Nimz~
This is an excellent apple pie recipe. Loved the walnut mixture on the bottom. I only used about 4 apples, which was about 6 cups. Had just the right amount of sweetness. I'll be making this one again. Thanks Lainey
- 3⁄4 cup ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons beaten eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened (divided)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 5 cups tart apples, sliced and peeled (about 6 medium)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- additional milk (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, combine the walnuts, brown sugar, egg, milk 1 T butter, vanilla and 1/4 t lemon juice.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate.
- Spread nut mixture over crust.
- In large bowl, toss apples with remaining lemon juice.
- Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; toss with apples.
- Spoon over the nut mixture; dot with remaining butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make lattice crust, if desired.
- Trim, seal and flute edges.
- Brush top with additional milk, if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.