Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Cooking Pleasures, Feb/March 2008.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 medium granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted and divided
- 2⁄3 cup golden raisin
- 2 tablespoons raw turbinado sugar
- Heat oven to 350*. Spray 9" square baking pan with cooking spray. Place oats on baking sheet; bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cool.
- Process oats in food processor until very finely ground. Whisk oats, all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1 tsp of cinnamon, allspice and salt in large bowl.
- Beat brown sugar, eggs and oil in large bowl until blended. Beat in buttermilk and molasses until combined. Stir into dry ingredients until just blended. Stir in apples, 1/2 cup of walnuts and raisins. Spoon batter into pan. Combine remaining 1/2 cup walnuts, raw sugar and remaining 1 tsp cinnamon; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.