Top Review by White Rose Child
Yep, excellent muffins! As you noted they don't rise too high, but taste lovely. My changes: all ww pastry flour; 1/4 cup sugar in place of splenda; vegan subs for buttermilk and egg; and I had to use pecans as I was out of walnuts. I forgot the topping but they're great anyway! Thanks!
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats, not quick cooking
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons apple butter (see Sugar Free Crock Pot Apple Butter)
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 cup cooking apple, grated, unpeeled (Rome, Jonagold, Granny Smith)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rolled oats
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Grease 12 muffin tin cups or line with cupcake papers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder & soda, salt, cinnamon, oats, Splenda and walnuts.
- Thoroughly mix the egg, buttermilk, apple butter, oil & grated apple. Pour into dry ingredients and stir gently just till mixed. A few lumps are OK; overmixing will make the muffins tough.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Combine topping ingredients & scatter over muffin tops.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (They don't rise very much; that's okay.).
- Remove from oven & cool on a rack (if you're "muffin tipper", now's the time to do it ;-) for 10 minutes. Remove from pan & finish cooling on rack.