Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
All the glory of muffins, using apple butter for part of the fat and replacing the white sugar with Splenda granular. Another Graham Kerr speciality. (I've also posted Sugar Free Crock Pot Apple Butter which he used in this recipe.)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats, not quick cooking
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons apple butter (see Sugar Free Crock Pot Apple Butter)
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 cup cooking apple, grated, unpeeled (Rome, Jonagold, Granny Smith)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Grease 12 muffin tin cups or line with cupcake papers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder & soda, salt, cinnamon, oats, Splenda and walnuts.
- Thoroughly mix the egg, buttermilk, apple butter, oil & grated apple. Pour into dry ingredients and stir gently just till mixed. A few lumps are OK; overmixing will make the muffins tough.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Combine topping ingredients & scatter over muffin tops.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (They don't rise very much; that's okay.).
- Remove from oven & cool on a rack (if you're "muffin tipper", now's the time to do it ;-) for 10 minutes. Remove from pan & finish cooling on rack.
Yep, excellent muffins! As you noted they don't rise too high, but taste lovely. My changes: all ww pastry flour; 1/4 cup sugar in place of splenda; vegan subs for buttermilk and egg; and I had to use pecans as I was out of walnuts. I forgot the topping but they're great anyway! Thanks!
You've done it again, Susie! Another winner. Very moist and flavorful. Thanks for posting this one!