Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I recently went apple picking and was so overexcited about picking that I ended up with 18 pounds of apples. That’s a lot of pie! To try something different, I made these muffins. The recipe is slightly modified from the South Beach Diet Cookbook. They aren’t overly sweet, so I like to toast them up and add some margarine.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar substitute (I use granulated Splenda)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 medium apple, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a larger bowl, combine buttermilk, oil, brown sugar, sugar substitute and egg. Stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Don’t over-mix! Stir in apples and walnuts.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Bake 12-15 minutes.