Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
This loaf is all kinds of delicious! Yogurt tenderizes, spelt flakes and flaxseed grab onto moisture, ground walnuts keep the crumb tender, dark brown sugar adds a touch of bittersweet flavour, and chunks of diced apple and walnuts add dimension. Did I mention it has NO ADDED FAT?
- 1 egg
- 3 cups nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄3 cup large-flake rolled oats or 1⁄3 cup spelt, flakes
- 2⁄3 cup demerara sugar (or dark brown)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup spelt flour
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup ground walnuts
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- 3 unpeeled diced apples
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat egg with yogurt.
- Stir in the flaxseed and spelt flakes. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and vanilla to the yogurt mixture and blend in well.
- Whisk together flours, ground walnuts, baking soda, and spice in a medium bowl.
- Add the dry mixture to the yogurt mixture and mix to blend, then fold in apple pieces and chopped walnuts.
- Bake on the lowest rack of the oven for 55-60 minutes, until it tests done.