Recipe by YummySmellsca
This loaf is all kinds of delicious! Yogurt tenderizes, spelt flakes and flaxseed grab onto moisture, ground walnuts keep the crumb tender, dark brown sugar adds a touch of bittersweet flavour, and chunks of diced apple and walnuts add dimension. Did I mention it has NO ADDED FAT?
- 1 egg
- 3 cups nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄3 cup large-flake rolled oats or 1⁄3 cup spelt, flakes
- 2⁄3 cup demerara sugar (or dark brown)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup spelt flour
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup ground walnuts
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- 3 unpeeled diced apples
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat egg with yogurt.
- Stir in the flaxseed and spelt flakes. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and vanilla to the yogurt mixture and blend in well.
- Whisk together flours, ground walnuts, baking soda, and spice in a medium bowl.
- Add the dry mixture to the yogurt mixture and mix to blend, then fold in apple pieces and chopped walnuts.
- Bake on the lowest rack of the oven for 55-60 minutes, until it tests done.