Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My MIL's recipe. Easy and a nice fall dessert.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
Wonderful dessert. I typically make apple crisp for dessert when we have company. This time I wanted to bake something different so I decided to try this. Love how the topping sinks to the bottom and makes a crust. Easily converted this to gluten free just as written using my favorite GF flour mix. Will definitely make this again - might try using pecans next time since we like them better than walnuts.
- 4 cups sliced apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Place apples in a greased 9-inch square baking pan; spread them out evenly.
- In a bowl, add 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, and coarsely chopped walnuts; stir to combine.
- Sprinkle mixture over apples.
- In another bowl, add the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; stir to combine and set aside.
- Mix together the egg, half-and-half, and butter in a bowl; add to flour mixture; beat until smooth.
- Pour over apples.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped walnuts.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until pick comes out clean.