Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a fantastic quick bread recipe with plenty of apple walnut flavor and just the right amount of chocolate chips - not too many! It also features a delicious walnut topping! Perfect winter morning breakfast food!!
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To make the topping: In a small bowl, mix together the 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 cup of the walnuts and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, the 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and the nutmeg and set this aside as well.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the 1 cup of sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix well. Gradually beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk. Stir in the chopped apple (peeled if desired and chopped however small or large you prefer - I have used both Gala and Granny Smith varieties with great success), 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x5x3 loaf pan and sprinkle the topping mixture over the top. Press the topping mixture lightly into the batter to prevent it from all falling off when you take the bread out of the pan.
- Bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.