- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil or 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups diced unpeeled tart apples, such as granny smith
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract, more to taste
- milk, if needed to thin
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and mix into batter.
- Fold in apples and nuts, and spread into a 9"x13"x2" baking pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 50-60 minutes or until cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Cool, and ice with cream cheese frosting, if desired.
- It doesn't really need it, but it sure tastes great with it.
- To make frosting, combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl, and whip until smooth.
- If too thick, thin with a little milk.