Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
Easy and delicious breakfast bar (healthy too!). They are no-bake. I usually use Raisin Bran or Bran Flakes for the cereal part, but Corn flakes, cheerios, or even rice krispies would be great. From BHG.
- 1⁄2 cup dried apple, snipped
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup apple butter (I've used honey as a substitute)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1⁄3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 cups corn flakes or 2 cups bran flakes
- In a Dutch oven combine dried apples, honey, raisins, and brown sugar.
- Heat and stir until mixture boils; reduce heat slightly.
- Cook, uncovered, for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in peanut butter until melted.
- Stir in apple butter and cinnamon.
- Stir in rolled oats, walnuts, wheat germ, and sunflower seeds until well combined.
- Add cereal, stirring to coat.
- Press mixture very firmly (or bars will crumble) and evenly into an ungreased 8x8x2-inch pan.
- Chill to set.
- Cut into 8 bars.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days.
This was fun, easy and very tasty!! I used apple butter and loved it, also used bran flakes and went through the effort of toasting the wheat germ, walnuts and the sunflower seeds which I'm sure made the difference. You can really taste the peanut butter, I almost want to say it's like a peanut butter and jam bar with a tasty crispy and nut texture. I used an all natural smooth peanut butter. These are sweet and delicious. Thanks for posting.