Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A moist dessert that is best topped with vanilla ice cream.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups peeled and finely chopped tart apples (about 2 large)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly grease 9 x 13 pan.
- Combine 1st 3 ingredients in medium bowl and mix until finely crumbled.
- Stir in nuts.
- Press 2 cups of mixture evenly into bottom of prepared pan.
- Add cinnamon, baking soda and salt to remaining mixture and blend well.
- Beat in egg, sour cream and vanilla.
- Gently stir in apples.
- Spoon evenly into pan.
- Bake until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan and tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool completely in pan.
- Cut into squares and top with vanilla ice cream.
:) I ran out of salt, low on sour cream, short of brown sugar, so: I used a cup of half and half soured with vinegar, 3/4 of a cup of brown sugar, and used an extra egg, which I balanced out with another cup of chopped apples. I didn't peel them, either: And it was fabulous.. KelBel's right, the smell's insanely delicious! Much appreciated!
This was lovely although I did cut back on the sugar slightly.
These smelled insanely delicious while baking, and tasted awesome. I used pecans instead of walnuts, butter flavored crisco, and macintosh apples. Baked in a 9x9 pan for 1 hour.