Recipe by evelyn/athens
If you've been looking at my recipes, you'll have noticed I'm not into 'glam' desserts or cooking. I love homey fare, things that put a smile on my family's face. This recipe qualifies. Don't forget the ice cream or whipped cream.
Top Review by chia
i made this usung fresh blueberries and we all enjoyed it. the topping was very nice, loved the addition of the coconut. served it warm with vanilla ice cream, great dessert. thanks ev!
- 4 granny smith apples
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup finely-chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄3 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup cold butter, cut into bits
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190C).
- Butter a 9 inch square baking pan.
- Peel, core and slice the apples into 1/3 inch slices.
- Toss them in a large bowl with the lemon juice to prevent discolouration.
- Layer the apples in the baking pan.
- Combine the flour, oats, walnuts, coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, salt and vanilla.
- Add the butter and cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle over apples and bake in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes; or until topping is browned and apples are tender.