This is from a great book called Vegetarian Planet. You may think "Apples? In a burger?" But they are a great mixture of tart, sweet, and savory. Hope you enjoy!
- 4 slices sandwich bread (stale or toasted)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 granny smith apple, grated
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped (I use red)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats (ground in food processor)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Chop the bread very fine, or break into pieces and throw in a food processor, breaking it into crumbs.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl, and add the onions.
- Squeeze the grated apples lightly to remove excess juice, then add to the bowl, along with the bell pepper, ginger, rice, egg, and half the ground oats.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Form mixture into 1 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, over medium heat. Coat the patties with the remaining ground oats and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until browned slightly.
- Serve with hot sauce, cole slaw, or whatever else tickles your fancy.