Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This cake smells so good when baking in the oven, it has a delicious apple cinnamon-brown sugar topping on top so no need to top with any frosting, it's great just out of the oven or room temperature topped with whipping cream or ice cream --- make sure that your pan is well greased, so that the cake comes out easily for greasing see my Pan Release, Professional Pan Coating (Better Than Pam Spray!)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 3 apples, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup ground almonds
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, room temp
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 13x9-in baking pan.
- FOR TOPPING: Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly in the bottom of baking dish; set aside.
- In a bowl, toss apple slices with brown sugar, slivered almonds and cinnamon.
- Arrange apple mixture evenly over the bread crumbs.
- FOR CAKE: In a bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the ground almonds and eggs.
- Stir in remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Spoon batter evenly over apples mixture (already in pan).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Place on a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
- TO INVERT: Place cooling rack on top of cake, turn cake upside down, and carefully remove from baking pan.