Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This cake smells so good when baking in the oven, it has a delicious apple cinnamon-brown sugar topping on top so no need to top with any frosting, it's great just out of the oven or room temperature topped with whipping cream or ice cream --- make sure that your pan is well greased, so that the cake comes out easily for greasing see my Pan Release, Professional Pan Coating (Better Than Pam Spray!)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 3 apples, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup ground almonds
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, room temp
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 13x9-in baking pan.
- FOR TOPPING: Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly in the bottom of baking dish; set aside.
- In a bowl, toss apple slices with brown sugar, slivered almonds and cinnamon.
- Arrange apple mixture evenly over the bread crumbs.
- FOR CAKE: In a bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the ground almonds and eggs.
- Stir in remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Spoon batter evenly over apples mixture (already in pan).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Place on a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
- TO INVERT: Place cooling rack on top of cake, turn cake upside down, and carefully remove from baking pan.
Thought this wold make a simple breakfast/birthday cake for a colleague tomorrow. However, mine has been cooking already for 45 min @ 375 degrees as another comment stated. Still liquid centre. Not impressed yet. Convection fan is on and it is now 55 minutes! Okay, I've removed the cake at 60 minutes and the top has become very 'crusty'. Stay tuned for what it will be like when inverted. I think I might be making a cinnamon/apple sauce for this one as it looks pretty dry. Correction: VERY dry! I wouldn't make this one again but thanks anyways.
This was fantastic ! So quick and easy. It was very moist. I cooked my cake just as stated and it came out perfect. We loved the cinnamon flavor. Thanks for posting such a wonderful recipe.
Excellent recipe Kitten! Moist and delicious. I added walnuts instead of the almonds (personal preference) and all I can say is, "You have to try this one!" I placed mine in the middle rack of my oven, and baked at 350 for 45 mins., due to previous posters comments about not being done. Came out perfect. Thank you Kitten! Debbie