Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Make and share this Apple Upside Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 3 -4 medium apples (I use Granny Smith)
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- For topping: grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; line bottom with waxed paper and then grease the paper.
- Pare and core apples; then cut into 1/4-inch thick wedges (about 2 cups).
- Pour melted butter into pan and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Arrange apples, edge to edge, over sugar.
- preheat oven to 350° Cake: sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream shortening with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in dry ingredients alternately with milk; add vanilla; blend well.
- Pour batter over apples.
- Bake 40-45 minutes.
- Turn cake upside down on a large cake plate or platter immediately.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
Very delicious easy cake to put together. I used Granny Smith apples and followed the recipe to a "T" (except for the wax paper part...I didn't have any). What I loved most about this cake is that it didn't have the usual cinnamon that is in most dessert recipes that contain apples. That gets kind of boring in the fall! Very fresh tasting a yummy...especially with some vanilla ice cream on top. Thanks for sharing!
We felt this recipe was very good, but needed something. I sprinkled cinnamon, nutmeg and ground clove over the apples and felt that it added the perfect touch. Next time I make it I will sprinkle the apples before cooking. Easy, tasty recipe!
Very easy, tasty, I used cinamon & cloves along with the sugar because I think it goes with apples. I also used 1 pear in one corner and half a peach (because I was afraid a peach would be too soft) and the other fruits worked very nicely too. Definitely a saver!