1 hr 25 mins
This looks so good! I have lots of apples right now and making this for a potluck. This comes highly recommended. Posted here for safekeeping.From Elite Reviewing.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium apples
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons boiled cider (or thawed apple juice concentrate)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup (or agave syrup)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil (can sub half applesauce)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons boiled cider or 2 tablespoons thawed apple juice concentrate
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts) (optional)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly grease a 9″ round cake pan at least 2″ deep. Line the bottom with parchment, and grease the parchment.
- 2Slice the top, including the stem, off one of the apples and set it aside before peeling and slicing the rest of the apples into 1/4″ thick wedges.
- 3Place the apple top, stem side down, in the middle of the pan, and overlap the rest of the apple wedges in a ring around it.
- 4Prepare the topping by heating the butter, sugar, boiled cider, cinnamon, and corn syrup together over low heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- 5Pour 1/2 cup of the syrup mixture into the prepared pan, and set the rest aside.
- 6To make the cake: Beat the oil, brown sugar, boiled cider, eggs, spices, and salt together for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- 7Mix the flour with the baking soda, and stir it into the batter.
- 8Add the chopped apple and nuts, and mix until just blended.
- 9Drop scoops of the batter atop the apples in the pan, gently spreading to cover.
- 10Bake the cake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 11Remove the cake from the oven, and run a thin spatula around the edge to loosen.
- 12Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a serving plate, bottom side up. Scrape out any sauce that remains in the pan, and spread it over the cake.
- 13Reheat the reserved topping. If butter starts to separate as you reheat, add water by the teaspoon and stir until the butter rejoins the rest of the sauce.
- 14Pour the sauce over the cake. Serve cake warm or at room temperature, with whipped cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1691 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4733.5
- Calories from Fat 2001
- Total Fat 222.3 g
- Saturated Fat 53.9 g
- Cholesterol 494.1 mg
- Sodium 3177.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 683.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.7 g
- Sugars 427.8 g
- Protein 34.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: